Did you come here for the magic pill?
I’m so sorry to disappoint you, but it’s not here.
In fact, it doesn’t exist.
Stop! Don’t you dare click away. Let me explain by telling you my story…
Why do you keep coming up with ideas if you’re never going to execute them?
This is one of the most important questions I asked myself when reflecting on 2018 and the years prior. This past fall, I sat down and evaluated everything, realizing that I’ve wasted so much time being my own worst enemy.
I’ve always been a dreamer with grandiose ideas. My imagination was top grade–still is. I was blessed to have parents who spoke intelligence and blessings into me. I always knew I’d have a greater purpose, because they told me so–I believed them. However, what I did not understand is how doubt and habits from my environment would subconsciously limit my ability to act on my personal goals—I am just now beginning to figure out the deep reasons why I have lack.
Don’t get me wrong, I have accomplished some of my goals. Years ago, I got started on my food business and saw small but awesome growth; I created a 501c3 nonprofit with three of my closest friends; I’ve been honored with awards; I moved across the country with my beaux; I’ve performed with some amazing artists. But, somewhere along the way, everything came to a halt. I stopped working on my goals.
I would come up with these amazing ideas and never execute a single one.
I blamed life with a myriad of excuses:
“I don’t have enough time.”
“I need money to start it.”
“I don’t have xyz like everyone else who is doing it.”
“I need (insert unnecessary stuff) so I can get it done.”
There is something deeper going on here.
Unable to answer my opening question, I began to try and understand the why, honing in on personal and money habits, mindset shifting, the psychology of success and failure, and the power of lifestyle design.
Success is no accident. It starts by:
1) Manifesting and Visualizing What You Want
Clarity about your wants keeps you pushing towards an actual goal. Focusing on what you want versus what you don’t want shifts the way you spend your energy. Example: “I don’t want to be broke” vs “I’m going to be wealthy.” Put your energy into statements like the latter.
2) Shifting your mindset
When you believe that you are in control of your life and your success, you are taking the power away from “chance,” and creating the outcomes you desire. This does not mean that you will never have a negative thought, it just means that you have the power to shift a negative to a positive.
3) Changing your habits to fit what you desire
Is Netflix going to write that business or life plan for you? I doubt it. Research has shown that an average Netflix customer spends 10 hours per week on the platform. Even crazier, the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the average American watches TV for a total of 2.8 hours per day. That’s 1,022 hours per year! Imagine how much you can get done for yourself with 1,000 hours…now drop the remote and pick up a more productive habit for at least 1 hour per day!
4) Goal-setting and planning
According to research by the University of Scranton, 92% of people who set new years goals never accomplish them. Why does the remaining 8% succeed? They create specific goals and are aligned with and passionate about them. Hopefully now, that lightbulb in your head is starting to understand the importance of the steps leading up to this.
5) Acting on it.
Execution is pretty self explanatory. You can have the best playbook in the game, but if you never play the game and test out these plays on the field, you’ll never know how to get stronger, faster, wiser, BETTER. You have to play the game to start the cycle: Design. Think. Make. Break. Repeat. Before you know it, you’ll be killin’ it.
In the next few months, I will be sharing the resources and tools I have found and am using to build a life that I absolutely love using all of the above. I’m so excited to not only design my best life, but to also help you to do the same.
What are some tools you use or have used to shift your mindset and habits to align with your goals?
Let’s chat about it!
Sign up for my monthly newsletter to receive exclusive content you need to help you dig deep, and make shit happen.
Signing out for now.